Monday, May 12, 2014

My First Ever Mixed Media Canvas

I am excited to share with you my first ever mixed media canvas loaded with my favorite Want2Srap® products. I am still new to this new art form and admit that I struggled with the messiness and randomness (as in collages) of it. So, I thought the beauty of art is you can make it personal with your own style. Here is my take of a shabby and "clean and ordered" mixed media canvas. The piece is 5" x 7".
MM-W2S-canvas
The first thing I did was cover Want2Scrap chipboards (Clouds, Houses, Fences) with DecoArt gesso then let them dry. I decoupaged the top half with some torn blue Graphic 45 papers.
MM-W2S-canvas4
The bottom half is covered with burlap, which I secured with a glue gun. I then adhered my different elements: clouds, house, sentiment, fence and Finesse Swirl pearls, which I divided into two parts: one is placed above the fence (photo below) and the other as smoke from the chipboard house chimney (photo above). I adhered a thin pink lace on the fence.
MM-W2S-canvas2
I left the "Love" chipboard as is because it coordinates well with the burlap. I spelled the rest of the sentiment using Authentique letter stickers. I added some Hot Pink pearls to highlight "lives." I also layered "here" with two kinds of letter stickers to make it stand out.
MM-W2S-canvas3
I then die cut several flower and leave templates using Spellbinders dies (Spiral Blossom One and Bitty Blossoms) from various coordinating Graphic 45 pattern papers. I adhered a big rolled flower with a big Hot Pink pearl on the center, along with a strip of lace on the roof, on the chipboard house. The other rolled flowers are glued along the bottom to anchor the whole piece. I also used various Scrapbook Adhesives by3L products on this canvas.
MM-W2S-canvas1
I have made a few more canvases and will share them with you on future posts. I think you will see how quickly I evolved in my mixed media art, from this clean and ordered style to a more eclectic "messy" type. :) The layout is inspired by the Cardabilities #98. I'm also entering this to the Crazy 4 Challenge #235 (Bingo using flowers, sentiment and bling).
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Love your 'ordered' canvas Nina - and I am looking forward to seeing how you let go and get messy and random ... I have yet to do it
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous piece, I love the scene you created. Wonderful use of dies and trims!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina, you rocked it! I'd never know it was your first attempt. Beautifully done! The scene is so sweet, and love all of your little touches of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! I just love your lace roof!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your project! Stepping outside our comfort zone inspires growth and learning! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute, Nina! I love the pearl smoke coming out of the chimney!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute love all the details.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails