Thursday, January 27, 2011

Goodbyes and Hellos

Don't you just hate goodbyes? I know they're part of life, but I can't seem to get used to them. And practice doesn't make perfect either because I've said so many in my lifetime and still each one is hard.

But, nothing is worse than saying goodbye to my sweet girls and husband. And thankfully, this is the first (and maybe only) time I get to do it. It is like a big part of me was left there with them and I don't feel complete. It's amazing how God interweaves our hearts together so we can experience love this intense. It is such a gift to have dear people whom you love and who love you back. So even in this painful experience of being separated from my family, God shows Himself as good. I am blessed!

To help with the girls' sadness of my being away, I left them a stack of cards to open, one for each day I'm gone. I left little clues in the notes about where to find treats that I hid all over the house.
Here are some sample treats I left for them. I used SRM Stickers tubes that are so fun to decorate. I made these vintage shabby (what else?). They're filled with chocolate. I used the We've Got Your Sticker Sweet to secure the wrapped doilies in place and for the tags.

One of the upsides of goodbyes is you also get to say hello when you get to your destination. I am enjoying time with my parents right now and it's been a long time since I'm home alone with them. I am blessed to have wonderful parents, too. And, of course, I will see many of my blogging and paper crafting friends at CHA later this week. I will try to update this blog with photos from the floor.

In the meantime, here are some shots I took from 38K feet in the air. This one was taken over the Atlantic Ocean.

And I believe these were the Rockies, from what I could tell on the map. Don't these just shout the glory of God? What a beautiful world we live in.
I hope you will all have a great day today!
Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Oh, Nina, my heart breaks for you, leaving your family like that. At the same time, I am so jealous of your trip! lol.... Our children are 35 and 30 (tomorrow's DD's birthday!), and when they leave or we leave from a visit, I still cry my eyes out for hours. I'm such a baby!!! Have fun with friends, if you see Lisa H. at La La Land, give her a bear hug from me, okay??? Safe travels...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina, I am glad you made it safe and sound to the US and you get to enjoy some time with your parents before heading to CHA. I know you'll miss your girls and DH! All the little treats and cards you left for them are so sweet! Have a great trip and before you know it, you'll be back home with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO sweet of you to part your DD with cards and tubes! They are going to treasure them every day while you are away! Travel safe, Nina!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea!!! So sweet!!! I´m sure this will help the girls a lot!
    I wish you a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travelling so far from home would be difficult when leaving loved ones behind, but what a fantastic way to make it less difficult for the little ones. Im sure they will treasure each of your notes and the great treats that go along with them.
    Have fun at CHA and you will be home soon. Safe journey,
    Glynis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only imagine how hard it would be to leave your family. I hope you have a wonderful time at CHA. I'll be praying for your safety. I know your girls will love these little surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww Nina... God has your children in good hands and in YOUR heart. They are lucky to have such a fabulous mommy. Have a great trip and I'm glad you made it here safe! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how you feel Nina, my oldest just went to spend the semester in Rome, Italy - I cry just about everyday - my only consolation is I know this is a wonderful experience for him - but as you say I feel like part of me is gone - it does not get easier with age - it is going to be along 4 months!
    Enjoy your visit with your parents - although your kids will be missing you - they will enjoy your cards you left for them, it will make them feel closer to you ... speaking of that, better get busy making him a card!
    Enjoy CHA Nina.
    Sandra ltb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute crafts for your daughters! Great job! Amazing pictures of God's wonderful creation! Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful trip!! :) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so lovely to hear from you Nina and hear that you got there safely! Those goodbyes are the hardest part - I look forward to the day we get to day Hello face to face!!! Enjoy your parents and meeting your CYBER Friends IRL - I will be watching for updates! God bless you dear friend! {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  11. My 16 y/o daughter is away from home too for a 3 day religious retreat to Tagaytay. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're such a thought mama!!!! Have a great time...think of me while you're drooling over all those goodies!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea Nina... leaving little gifts hidden away! They'll have so much fun searching for them! The pics from the plane are wonderful! Enjoy CHA and time with family!
    hugs,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my Word, you are such a sweetheart. I adore the idea of leaving a card for each day you are gone. What a fun thing for your girls to look forward to. Your treats are a great idea, love that you wrapped them in doilies. Have fun, be safe and can't wait to start seeing photos

    ReplyDelete
  15. YES and YES! God is good and shares His beautiful creations with us all the time! LOVE Him!!

    Your notes to your daughters are precious! LOVE that idea;) Sad that you are leaving them for awhile...I'm sure you will be missed! Hope you have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a precious mother you are, Nina! No wonder your girls are so special!

    ReplyDelete
  17. such a sweet and wonderful idea to leave your girls cards and treats. i bet they had fun each day remembering your sweetness! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails